Services offered by the Dental Clinics of Albania Dent
Taken from Wikipedia
Durrës (Albanian pronunciation: [du: rəs]; Italian: Durazzo, Italian pronunciation: [durattso]), historically known as Epidamnos and Dyrrachium, is the second most populous city in the Republic of Albania.
Founded by the Greek colonists of Corinth and Corfù under the name of Epidamnos (in Greek: Επίδαμνος) around the seventh century BC, the city developed essentially to become significant as it became an integral part of the Roman Empire and its successor the Byzantine Empire . The Via Egnatia, the continuation of the Via Appia, began in the city and crossed the interior of the Balkan peninsula to Constantinople to the east. In the Middle Ages it was fought between Bulgarian, Venetian and Ottoman dominions.
After Albania's declaration of independence, the city was the capital of the Principality of Albania for a short period of time. Subsequently, it was annexed by the Kingdom of Italy and by Nazi Germany in the period between two wars. Moreover, the city has experienced a strong expansion in its demography and economic activity during communism in Albania.
Durazzo is served by the port of Durres, one of the largest on the Adriatic Sea, which connects the city to Italy and other neighboring countries. Its most notable attraction is the amphitheater of Durazzo which is included in the provisional list of Albania for the designation as a UNESCO world heritage site. With a capacity of 20,000 people, it is the largest amphitheater on the Balkan Peninsula.
The amphitheater of Durazzo is one of the largest and most important monuments of rare splendor that has survived from the ancient city. It was erected in the 2nd century a. C. In the late Middle Ages it was abandoned. In the 10th century, a chapel and a cemetery were built over its areas and galleries. The documentation suggests that the Amphitheater was very large, with a capacity of 20,000 spectators. Its diameter was much more than 120 meters. It was brought to light in 1966, by chance, while a citizen dug in his garden. Unfortunately only a quarter of the ancient Dyrrachium was mined because of the constant earthquakes that shook the city.
The Archaeological Museum of the city of Durres, in Albania. It was founded in 1951 by the Albanian archaeologist Vangjeli Toci, it is the largest archaeological museum in the country. The museum is located near the beach and north of the museum are the Byzantine walls of the sixth century, built after the Visigothic invasion of 481.
The Venetian Tower is part of the Bisantino Castle of Durazzo, which in the Middle Ages was considered one of the most powerful fortresses in the Adriatic. The Tower was rebuilt and took the form and image of today, in the first half of the fifteenth century, when Durazzo was occupied by the Venetians, La Torre has a cylindrical shape with an outer diameter of 9 m and height 9.6 m . The base has the shape of a trunk of the cone, which at the top has a stone frame. The base was covered with stone slabs.
The only room in the tower is lit by 5 large windows that served for the canons and is covered by a spherical dome built with tiles. The walls have a thickness of 3.7 m and are reinforced with layers of wood. The thickness of the wall has been exploited for the construction of the internal stairs that take you to the terrace.
La Bella di Durazzo, also known as La Bellezza di Durazzo and La Bella Fanciulla di Durres,
Currently it appears to be the oldest and most important mosaic ever discovered on Albanian soil. The elliptical mosaic depicts the head of a woman on a black background, surrounded by flowers and floral elements. It was discovered in 1916 in Durazzo and since 1982 is exhibited at the Albanian National Historical Museum.
The mosaic was made in the second half of the fourth century BC near Durazzo, then known as Epidamnos, in order to decorate the floor of a luxurious private bathroom; it was discovered in 1916, during the First World War, when Durazzo was occupied by the soldiers of the Austro-Hungarian Empire. During the work of the Austro-Hungarian army for the construction of fortifications, the military engineers came across this mosaic, which was unearthed in the foundations of a house in a neighborhood very close to the current city center, at the depth of 3.80 meters.
L'archeologo austriaco Camillo Praschniker si prese cura del mosaico, pertanto fu ben conservato. Nel suo libro Ricerche archeologiche in Albania e Montenegro (in tedesco: Archäologische Forschungen in Albanien und
Montenegro), published in Vienna in 1919 together with Arnold Schober, Praschniker was the first to include the image of a mosaic, describing it as a figurative masterpiece.
After the end of the war, La Bella di Durazzo was covered and its traces were lost, until 1947, when it was rediscovered by the Durazzese archaeologist Vangjel Toçi. It became widely known in the world of art history only after 1959.
In 1982 the mosaic was carefully transferred from Durazzo and placed in the main hall of antiquities, in the Albanian National Historical Museum, where it is still exhibited.
The most beautiful beaches of Durres are many and it would be nice to visit them all, to take a dip in the splendid sea that laps them, but the coastline is over 6km long and, therefore, better focus on the most famous and popular beaches. Two small beaches of rare beauty are those of Bardhori and Gjenerali. These are two small pearls of the Adriatic and in many consider them the most beautiful ever.
The beach of Golem and Mali i Robit are the closest to the town and are very beautiful, especially for the presence of a beautiful pine forest. The bay of Durazzo seems to be a sort of natural amphitheater, protected from winds and bad weather: excellent for those who want to enjoy the sun, the sea and the pristine beach. Along the coast you will also discover other beaches, beaches and many inestimable bays. What makes the coast of Durazzo special is precisely these beaches, which follow one another and are increasingly sought after by tourists from all over the world and also by the Albanians from neighboring cities.